Monday, March 23, 2009

Heartbreaker: Justin Moriarty

We had Oglethorpe on the ropes and couldn't knock them out. All of our scoring was done in the first 3 innings of the game and we failed to pull away. The Cardinals were up 8-5 in the 9th with 2 outs and 2 runners on for Oglethorpe. Unfortunately for us, Oglethorpe decided to hit a 3 run home run to tie the game up and send it into extra innings. We later succumbed 9-8.

Even though this may be the most heartbreaking loss that I have ever experienced I still saw some good things. Freshman pitcher Tyler Herman really showed some guts late in the game and halted Oglethorpe when he was on the mound. I'm still getting used to the #17 on the back of someone other than former catcher Zach Ernst. I just find it humorous that the only player slimmer than myself on the team took the vacant jersey left by Zach who was as muscular as a baseball player comes.

It cannot possibly get any worse at this point because after a loss like the one we just endured the morale of the guys is at rock bottom. The beauty of this game, as everyone knows, is that the sun will be shining tomorrow. Tomorrow is a Tuesday and people around the world will be going to work or struggling through any number of hardships. We get to wake up and play ball. Isn't that something to think about? No matter how hard we think we have it or how disappointed we were after the final run scored tonight, there are many more people who have it much worse.

At the moment I would be lying to the readers if I said I wasn't still hurting due to this loss because I very much am. I want to help contribute more to my teammates and want to do the maximum possible in every game just like everyone else probably wants to do. But the fact of the matter is that isn't going to happen. Teammates need to pick each other up during the course of a game and a season and we need to do an even better job of this. Same time tomorrow.......see you then.