Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Game 2 vs. Oglethorpe University

I am holding up my end of the bargain about giving the readers something to look at after every game and I wish I had better news. I have yet to write to you after a positive outing and I regret to say that today is no different. We received an absolute thumping courtesy of Oglethorpe University. I wish there was a way to sugar code it but a 24-4 loss is tough to justify.

After the game concluded there was an unpleasant atmosphere amongst the team and that's expected. Luckily for us it is still very early in the season. Coach brought up a great point about Webster University last season. They began their 2008 campaign 0-7 and were 2 outs away from reaching the Division III World Series. This gives us a little something called HOPE. I'm going to cite Jim Tressel again and a chapter in his book entitled HOPE. He has a meaningful quote by Jean Kerr that states, "Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." Trust me when I say that this season is long from finished and there isn't a chance in the world that we are going to throw in the towel. Nobody is going to be able to convince me otherwise. We may be feeling awful right now but this feeling certainly isn't permanent.

On a positive note.....Junior pitcher Mike Charles did something no other Cardinal pitcher could do tonight.... pitch an inning in which Oglethorpe did not score. So congrats to "Chuck." Also, Peter Romanello (Romo as we call him) and Eric Vogrin (Vogs) had a couple of great pinch hits late in the game so good for those two guys.

I won't be able to write after the ball game tomorrow since we will be departing for home directly from the ballpark. I have to admit that after we WIN tomorrow, I can't wait to get back to Naperville. The saying "There's no place like home" really holds true for me and spending time with my Mom and Dad, along with my 5 brothers, is something that I don't take for granted. I have also been hearing from a few of the guys that the parents are really enjoying the blog that Coach Bunnell has so graciously set up. We truly appreciate your support and I hope you keep tuning in. I look forward to seeing you all at the games when we get home.