Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Trip: Day 4

10:20 am - Day four started out like day three except made an addition to our coaching staff. Ok, he was already on our staff but RJ Spehn caught a red-eye from O'Hare and showed up to the hotel.

11:40 am - My arm was feeling better in time for today's BP round. It wasn't as good as the practice round last Wednesday but we finished in 34 minutes giving us plenty of time to get ready for in-and-out. We changed the BP routine a little today, adding a wiffle ball station. Group 1 started in the cage on the field, Group 2 was hitting wiffle balls in the tunnels, Group 3 was on the field for defense and Group 4 was on the field for base running.

Round 1: Sac Bunt, Drag Bunt, Sac Bunt, Drag, Bunt, Squeeze
Round 2: 4 Hit & Run
Round 3: Bunt & Run, 2 Advance Runner, 2 Drive 'em in, 5 Free Swings
Round 4: 7 Free Swings

1:05 pm - The first pitch was delivered for the second game of the series against Emory. I had a better feeling about today's game than I did yesterday. The players' approaches were much more focused before the game. We fell behind after a leadoff walk in the first but answered with three runs in the 2nd. We added another in the fourth. Emory came back to tie the game at 4 but we regained the lead 5-4. That was the story of the day...we took a lead, they would tie it, we would regain the lead and they would tie it again. Unfortunately, after they tied the game at six in the 8th inning, they added two more insurance runs. The story again was our inability to throw strikes.

After regaining the lead in the 8th, we came out and walked the leadoff hitter in the bottom of the inning who ultimately scored after another walk, a sac bunt and a 2-run single. It was a dissappointing end to the game because of Micah Yarbrough's gutsy performance on the mound. Despite the crushing blow in the bottom of the 8th, our guys would not go away. We threatened with two base runners but couldn't scrath a run across to fall 8-6.

7:30 pm - After the dissappointing loss, we decided to go out as a team and went to dinner at the ESPN Zone. It was an ok meal but it was good to get out of the hotel. We got back to the hotel and hung out for a few hours before bed check. Tomorrow is a big day to get some momentum to finish the trip.