Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Trip: Days 1 & 2

Finals ended earlier this week and it's time to get back into baseball. For the past four years, spring break has signified the start of the season. But with our trip to Franklin two weeks ago we at least have a few games under our belt. One concern we have with the layoff is what affect it will have on our hitters. We came back from Franklin hitting .394 but haven't seen live pitching in what will be 13 days. We did our best at practice to make sure we saw live cage throwing, but anyone will tell you it's not the same.

Day 1
It was a long week having to finish up a paper and presentation for one of my grad classes, combine that with compiling notes for scouting reports on all three teams we

7:25 am - We start loading the bus in five minutes. I was in the office until about 10:30 the night before getting things ready for the trip but we also have a junior varsity game on Sunday so there were some added items on the to-do list.

8:10 am - The bus is loaded and we're off. We're scheduled to arrive in Atlanta at around 11:00 pm EST. I didn't bring a pillow which was stupid. I've only had about six hours of sleep the past two nights combined so I'm setting myself up for a sore neck later on.

8:45 pm - After a short nap I woke up and we had stopped for dinner. But because of some traffic through Nashville and an accident later on, we were a little behind schedule. But looking out the window we were only miles from the Georgia border so that was promising.

11:48 pm - We rolled into the hotel parking lot a shade before midnight. The entire trip lasted about 15 hours but it was pretty uneventful. It was about as uneventful as you could imagine. Every spring break I've ever had has been spent in Florida until now. It was always a 20-hour trip so the 15 hours with stops seems like nothing.

Day 2
8:40 am - I went to bed hoping to catch up on some sleep. The only thing on the schedule today was a practice at 4:00 so there wasn't a wake-up call today. I was so tired I couldn't sleep so I laid in bed watching TV until around 2:30 am. I was going to meet Coach Bogan for breakfast in the lobby which I did but I didn't eat anything. I ended up falling asleep in the common area in our suite but it was only for 20 minutes. I'm trying the Cosmo Kramer method of sleeping and it's working about as well as it did for him.

2:30 - I woke up from yet another 20-minute nap to the sound of housekeeping banging on my door. But that was a good thing because we were leaving for practice in 15 minutes. This was the only thing on the schedule today so it was the only thing I was looking forward to.

3:33 pm - We arrived on the campus of Emory and it is gorgeous! It could have been because of the temperature was in the upper-60's. But the grass was just mowed and the sun was glistening of the grass. It was what you expect to see in a Hollywood film not on the campus of a D3 college program.

4:45 pm - After the hitters went through a batting practice round in their tunnels we went through about 35 minutes of defense. It was nothing but great hops in the infield and the frat house beyond left field provided the soundtrack for the afternoon while they kicked off their weekend. It was a good practice, short and sweet and most importantly on a baseball field.

11:33 pm - The day is winding down while I am watching Cleveland State gear up for an upset bid against Wake Forest in the NCAA tournament. Everything is set for tomorrow, scouting reports are printed, charts are ready. All we have to do now is get up and play. This is the best time of the year, no school, no work, just baseball. It doesn't get any better than this.