Saturday, September 4, 2010

High Fives to Better Judgement

Whenever baseball coaches factor in the weather in any decision regarding games, practices, workouts, etc., they (we) begin to worry a little extra...and for no real good reason. Sure there is always the threat rain could pop into the picture and postpone or cancel practice, or sometimes just make it miserable to work through. But that is just part of the life we have chosen. Today we were faced with the decision on whether or not to cancel practice, and the percentages were not in our favor. Practice had already been pushed back three hours to give the field a chance to dry from the overnight rain, and at the time of the executive decision, it wasn't raining. The skies did not look promising and there was no doubt it would rain...it was just a matter of when. Luckily we decided to "Stay The Course" for a second straight day and it worked out for the best. Pitchers threw bullpens on schedule and we are all set for the showcase day tomorrow preceding the Storm Fall League draft later on Sunday night. The weather was going to do what it did regardless of our decision so we were damned if we did and damned if we didn't. So we figured we would rather be damned by doing and it was the best decision of the year...so far.