Thursday, August 18, 2011

Eye of the Storm: 10 Days to Fall Ball

20 Days to Fall Ball...
Thursday, August 18...10 Days

8:57 am - Today was going to be a light day baseball wise but my schedule was full. I was starting a part-time job at Stonewater Golf Course. I'd mostly be working two days a week on our off days. This is the ugly side of coaching, where many assistant coaches need to find part-time jobs to supplement their income. This job will only last through the golf season but I could get some free rounds out of the deal as well...so I got that going for me, which is nice.

10:33 am - I arrived at the office with a few things to do before heading to the course. I started at 2pm so I had to be efficient with my time. I checked the mail to see if any camp (Saturday, September 17) flyers had come in, which a few had, so I entered those names into the registration list right away. We were getting a lot of calls about the camp but only a few flyers were returned. However, we are expecting a very good response.

11:34 am - With fall ball less than two weeks away, this was a good time for me to review last year's strength and conditioning program. I spent a lot of time last year looking at exercises which had the right mix of strength, speed and explosiveness. I also spent a lot of time talking with strength coaches at other schools and even minor league strength coordinators to stay current on any cutting edge training methods. Baseball training has changed so much even in the last five years, you always have to be looking for a better way to do things.

1:52 pm - I had a good start to the weight program and just needed to talk to Sank to make sure we were on the same page with what the pitchers would be doing. The bench press is something that will not be on the list. In fact, I am very much against the exercise for position players as well. Loading a bunch of plates on a barbell doesn't really do much to translate to the baseball field. Baseball training is all about the core muscles and explosive exercises. Baseball is a dynamic sport with constant starts and stops and our weight program needs to reflect that.

Up next: 9 Days to Fall Ball

Follow updates on The Cave's Twitter feed @thecoachscave (#eyeofthestorm) and check out the blog recap later in the evening.