Saturday, August 13, 2011

Eye of the Storm: 15 Days to Fall Ball

20 Days to Fall Ball...
Saturday, August 13...15 Days

8:25 am - Woke up today with even less on the schedule than yesterday, and if you read my post about yesterday, you would know there wasn't much going on then either. But it took me awhile to get out of bed. The recent nights have boasted absolutely perfect sleeping conditions and the mornings have been starting slow.

9:25 am - Sat down to my computer with my bowl of Cheerios and started surfing. It took me about 20 minutes before I even thought about checking my email. I don't remember what I was looking at but I know it had nothing to do with recruiting.

9:50 am - After finally getting to my emails, I followed-up to some calls from Thursday and Friday. After the last email was sent, I knew I had to perform a task which I was not looking forward to. For every student-athlete we begin a recruiting relationship with, by NCAA rules, we have to enter their name and info into something called Compliance Assistant. This is basically a program on the NCAA website that allows coaches and administrators to track the recruiting process as it relates to phone calls, official and unofficial visits, national letters of intent, among other things. There are a lot of rules in the NCAA manual and to avoid being the next Calvin Sampson, this is a tedious, but necessary step.

12:25 pm - After my compliance duties were complete, I went back to emailing a few emails about camp (Saturday, September 17) before calling it a day. I will be heading to downtown Cleveland with the folks to grab an early dinner and take in the Tribe game. So I'm calling it a day relatively early today.

Up next: 14 Days to Fall Ball

Follow updates on The Cave's Twitter feed @thecoachscave (#eyeofthestorm) and check out the blog recap later in the evening.