Hopefully everyone is enjoying their holiday seasons! It has been quite a record-breaking year for Storm baseball in 2011 and 2012 is shaping up to be even better. This will be the last blog post of 2011 but there will be plenty more to come in 2012, including some new segments and features. So in the spirit of holiday sports journalism and my apologies to David Letterman, here is a countdown of the Top 11 moments in 2011 from the home office in
Omaha, NE, Painesville, OH. Enjoy!
Top 10 Memorable Moments from 2011
11. Program hosts inaugural alumni game. [Full Story]
10. Summer Success: Junior pitchers Adam Beach and Tyler Minnich were named All-Stars in their respective summer leagues. [Full Story] Brayan Cacique wins NABF World Series MVP Award. [Full Story] Brian Kilway, Pat Kilway and Brad Raley led the Pineville Pioneers to summer championship. [Full Story]
9. Five Storm players named to All-GLIAC Team (1st Team: Brandon James, Ryan Rua; 2nd Team: Matt Toth; Honorable Mention: Doug Fox, Jae Leeworthy) [Full Story]
8. James and Rua earn NCBWA All-Region honors. [Full Story]
6. Rua named All-American by Daktronics. [Full Story]
4. The Storm offense finished 2nd in hitting (.313), slugging (.422) and home runs (23) and led the GLIAC in stolen bases (75).
3. Brandon James walks-off against Ashland in the bottom of the 9th. [YouTube]
So there you have it…the top moments of the past year. I hope you've enjoyed the trip down memory lane but as Harold MacMillan once said, "use the past as a springboard, not a sofa." With that in mind, here's to 2012! I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!