Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Monday, February 20, 2012
- The squad was split into two teams for a modified intersquad scrimmage on both Saturday and Sunday. The pitchers stuck to their live bullpen schedule, but the hitters played to the count, inning, and score.
- In addition to the live cage match, the teams physical tools were put to the test in a series of physical challenges between at-bats such as: fielding, throwing, running, endurance, and bunting.
- Saturday Results: Team 2 wins cage match 5-4, Team 1 wins physical challenge 4-3 and takes Gold Glove round 1-0 to win the day.
- Sunday Results: Team 2 sweeps both cage and physical challenge to take the day.
- The team will depart campus on Friday afternoon for the 8 1/2 hour trip. Evansville is located in the Central Time Zone so fans making the trip should plan accordingly.
- Saturday's double-header will begin at 1pm CST. Game one will be a 9-inning game with the nightcap being a 7-inning contest. The single game on Sunday will be a 9-inning affair.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
- Uniforms were passed out on Sunday. The Storm added a white pants with black pinstripes to the mix of uniform options for 2012. They will be worn with both the current green "Storm" tops and the black "Erie" tops.
- There were a few number changes among the coaching staff. Coach Sankovich changed from #23 to #41 while Coach Bunnell switched from #21 to #43.
- There weren't any number changes among any of the returning players. The only other changes were the addition of the freshman numbers to the roster. They were as follows.
Thursday, February 9, 2012
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
- Monday featured a 5-inning intersquad game in the turf at Kiwanis where assistant coaches took the hill in place of Storm hurlers.
- There weren't set lineups for the scrimmage due to the number of players still in class, so the inning totals are unofficial.
- Storm pitchers didn't throw live in keeping with their routines to prep for today's live bullpen sessions against the hitters.
- The most interesting match-up of the day featured brothers taking up arms (and bats) against each other when Brian Kilway (So/RHP) faced off against older brother Pat (Jr/1B) in a 5-pitch session. The pair traded jabs with each other when Brian forced a few swing and misses and Pat found a gap later in the round.
- Today was the last of a six-day stretch of practices in which the Storm made it outside for all but two of them. The team will have an off day Thursday before getting back to work Friday morning when "The Bear" makes its second appearance.
- The four outdoor practices of the week brings the 2012 total up to six. The Storm didn't reach that number in 2011 until mid-March, after their spring trip to Florida.
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
The first week of Spring Training is in the books and Storm baseball is well into week two. There was nothing out of the ordinary in week one, but Tuesday's weather promoted good feelings around camp. A typical first week of practice can resemble this, but for some specifics from the first week of practice, check out these news and notes.
News & Notes:
- Pitchers threw bullpens on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, and as expected, the pitchers seemed to have the edge over the hitters.
- Garrett Emling recorded the first hit of the spring.
- Position players worked out on the turf at Kiwanis Rec Park on Tuesday and have a controlled intersquad game planned for Wednesday.