Welcome to the final Spring Training edition of Lab Notes. We are less than a week from the first pitch of the 2012 season, which begins next Saturday in Evansville, Indiana against the 19th-ranked Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles. Unfortunately, Hayden Fox won't be anywhere near the diamond during the three game set. Here are the latest news and notes from last week and a look ahead to the final week of Spring Training.
News & Notes:
- The squad was split into two teams for a modified intersquad scrimmage on both Saturday and Sunday. The pitchers stuck to their live bullpen schedule, but the hitters played to the count, inning, and score.
- In addition to the live cage match, the teams physical tools were put to the test in a series of physical challenges between at-bats such as: fielding, throwing, running, endurance, and bunting.
- Saturday Results: Team 2 wins cage match 5-4, Team 1 wins physical challenge 4-3 and takes Gold Glove round 1-0 to win the day.
- Sunday Results: Team 2 sweeps both cage and physical challenge to take the day.
- The team will depart campus on Friday afternoon for the 8 1/2 hour trip. Evansville is located in the Central Time Zone so fans making the trip should plan accordingly.
- Saturday's double-header will begin at 1pm CST. Game one will be a 9-inning game with the nightcap being a 7-inning contest. The single game on Sunday will be a 9-inning affair.