The 2012 season will open in less than three weeks when the Storm opens at No. 17 Southern Indiana. The Storm will have their hands full as they take on the the 2010 national champions. This is something Storm fans should get used to, however, as there are four teams on the schedule ranked in the Top 30. Here are this week's news and notes.
News & Notes:
- Monday featured a 5-inning intersquad game in the turf at Kiwanis where assistant coaches took the hill in place of Storm hurlers.
- There weren't set lineups for the scrimmage due to the number of players still in class, so the inning totals are unofficial.
- Storm pitchers didn't throw live in keeping with their routines to prep for today's live bullpen sessions against the hitters.
- The most interesting match-up of the day featured brothers taking up arms (and bats) against each other when Brian Kilway (So/RHP) faced off against older brother Pat (Jr/1B) in a 5-pitch session. The pair traded jabs with each other when Brian forced a few swing and misses and Pat found a gap later in the round.
- Today was the last of a six-day stretch of practices in which the Storm made it outside for all but two of them. The team will have an off day Thursday before getting back to work Friday morning when "The Bear" makes its second appearance.
- The four outdoor practices of the week brings the 2012 total up to six. The Storm didn't reach that number in 2011 until mid-March, after their spring trip to Florida.