Friday, August 24, 2012

How I Spent My Summer Vacation: Garrett Emling

Garrett Emling (@GarrettEmling) returns this fall for his junior season looking to have a breakthrough season. The outfield has always been a strength for the Storm the past three seasons with players like Matt Toth (@MattToth9), Brayan Cacique and Brandon James patrolling the wide open spaces of Kiwanis Rec Park, and this year Emling is trying to carry-on the tradition. Garrett earned more and more playing time as the season went on, starting in four of the Storm's last six games, including the postseason. Garrett's most memorable moment of the year came in the opening round of the 2012 GLIAC Playoffs after lacing a pinch-hit single to right, then scoring the game-winning run one batter later. I gave Garrett a chance to catch his breath and caught up with him to see how his summer went.

Where did you play summer ball?
This past summer I played baseball for the Stark County Terriers of the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate Baseball League.

Did you do anything exciting off the field this summer?
I didn't do anything too exciting over summer. I went to Chicago for a weekend and saw a Cubs game then went white water rafting in Wisconsin.

Did you keep in touch with or hang out with any teammates?
I kept in touch with some of my teammates. I hung out with a few of them here and there.

What are you looking forward to most during the upcoming season?
I am looking forward to getting back to the tournament and hopefully winning it.

What are some specific drills or parts of your game you focused on this summer?
This summer I worked on going the other way and staying up the middle while hitting. I played a lot of left field so I have a better feeling out there besides just playing center.

What are some personal goals heading into fall ball?
I can't really think of a goal for the fall season. Just to keep getting better and go the other way with the ball.

How did the end of the team's 2012 season change your approach this summer and heading into fall ball?
The end of last season didn't really effect me on the way I went into summer ball. For the fall, we just need to work harder as a team and have good practices.

With Toth and Cacique graduating, do you feel more responsibility to be more of a leader this season?
I don't feel more responsible to be a leader going into this season. I'm not a very vocal person during games so if I am leading, it's more with my performance. Everyone on our team is a leader in a different way.

Heading into your third year in the program, how has your game changed since you first arrived to LEC?
My game has mainly changed at the plate more than anything. I have to go the other way, move the runner over, and get my bunts down. Everything little thing that you could get away with in high school makes a big difference now. My attitude towards the game has changed. You want to win and see your teammates play well and win games. Winning now means a lot more than it has in the past.

Stay tuned for the next installment of How I Spent My Summer Vacation. In the meantime, stay up-to-date on Storm baseball on Twitter and the Lake Erie College official athletic website.

Follow The Coach's Cave on Twitter