Technically, there have only been three SFL games in 2012 and the Green Team still holds a 2-1 advantage, but there hasn't been a shortage of games during the fall season. Split-squad scrimmages have been played about three days a week, leaving two days for individual and team drills. There are ten new players in the Storm program this year and the multitude of games have given them plenty of opportunities to audition for playing time this year.
One of the main stats the coaching staff concerns itself with is a player's "X-Bases" total, or better yet, his productivity number. Simply put, the "X-Bases" are the number of bases a player touches per at-bat. To find the player's productivity, we add runs batted in, sacrifice bunts, X-Bases and divide by at-bats. This gives one number and lets the staff know how much a player is contributing. A player who reaches on an error, steals a base, advances on a ball in the dirt, and scores on a ground out would actually have a higher productivity number for a single at-bat than a player who doubles in the gap to drive in a run and is later stranded on second. That doesn't make much sense in a conventional sense, but when given a sample size of 50 games instead of one at-bat, the numbers make more sense and reveal which players have done the most to put runs on the board.
Here are the statistical leaders in X-Bases and Productivity:
Runs Batted In
1. Pat Kilway, 8
1. Lou Peterlin, 8
3. Josh Hudeck, 6
4. Garrett Emling, 5
5. 3 tied at 4
1. Garrett Emling, 41
2. Sean Mathews, 35
3. Zak DeCamp, 33
4. Dylan Yankle, 32
5. Lou Peterlin, 29
1. Garrett Emling, 2.25
2. Zak DeCamp, 2.00
2. Pat Kilway, 2. 00
4. Lou Peterlin, 1.82
5. Josh Hudeck, 1.68
- The Storm's scrimmage game at Lakeland Community College will be held as scheduled on Saturday, October 7 at 10am.
- The 2012 Alumni Game will be held on Saturday, October 13 following the Storm football game v. Malone. Alums who plan on attending should contact the baseball office.
- Reid Rizzo Day will be held on Sunday, October 14. More information can be found at LakeErieStorm.com.
- Check out my latest video and article available on STACK.com.
- The Lake Erie athletic department has opened its online merchandise store. Get the latest Storm gear at http://shop.lakeeriestorm.com.