Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Just Push Play...or Don't

The ball fields are a great place to hear some of the best songs of today and even those from yesterday (I know that sounds like the slogan for a classic rock station) but there are some songs that should just not be played at the ballpark and should be left to the Star 104 and Hot 101's of the world. Continuing with my look into music and baseball, here are the five songs I wish I never hear at the ballpark ever again...and a few I just never want to hear again anywhere.

1. "Call Me Maybe" - Carly Rae Jespen (2012): I can't express how much I can't stand this song. The Harvard baseball team gave it some extra love last season, which was kind of cool but didn't do any of us any favors. This song is destined to linger around ballparks for years to come.

2. Anything from Nickleback (1995-present): Songs from this group could fall into the category of songs to hear if you just want to ignore the music but I have the same reaction to their music as Cosmo Kramer did when hearing Mary Hart's voice.

3. "We Are Young" - Fun. (2012): Yeah sure, it won the Grammy for song of the year, but who really cares about the Grammys. The Grammy's name Shelby Lynne Best New Artist award despite 13 years in the industry and six albums released. This song is annoying but will no doubt be played at ballparks a plenty this season.

4. "Moves Like Jagger" - Maroon 5 (2011)/"Drive By" - Train (2012): These are both very catchy songs that ruled each of the past two summers but because radio stations were contractually obligated to  play them every 12.7 seconds and their appearances in several television commercials, they got old quick. The songs successes also led to this recent feud between the two bands (plus a few more artists).

5. "Crash" - Dave Matthews Band (1996): Surprisingly, I hear this at a lot of games but it doesn't quite fit at the ballpark. Somehow it was on our playlist last season as an after batting practice song, which needs to be rectified for 2013. This is more of an after game song if anything or even driving to the park song, just not during the game.

Hall of Fame List...songs that should be retired
This is a unique list of songs that at one time were enjoyable but have been around for 30-plus years and have run their course. Most of these songs found their way on this list because they are good songs and warrant a lot of play but as we head into the 2013 season, need to drift off into retirement.

1. "Don't Stop Believing" - Journey (1981): I like this song, I really do. There's a reason it's overplayed, but after hearing this song at every game I have played or coached in, and even at games I have scouted, I am over it. It has really lost its impact as an inspirational song when teams are playing it down 1-0 in the 3rd, it doesn't really work. At this point, I would rather listen to parodies of the song than the actual song.

2. "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd (1974): Kid Rock's 2008 "All Summer Long" was overplayed, which was influenced by this song, which has been overplayed for almost 40 years (at least the past 20).

3. "Sweet Caroline" - Neil Diamond (1969): Maybe it's because the Red Sox fans in their pink hats 
sing this song in the third inning at visiting ballparks, but i despise this song now. The only acceptable way for me to listen to this song is by either the Diamonds in the Rough or by Neil Diamond himself.

4. "You Shook Me All Night Long" - AC/DC (1980): I don't really like this song to begin with but a lot of other people do and it gets a lot of play at the ballpark, so it has earned a place in the Hall but it should also be retired.

5. "I Wanna Rock and Roll All Nite" - Kiss (1971): I like the movie Detroit Rock City. That's about as close I get to liking Kiss and this song is a big reason why. It has been played less and less I feel and that trend needs to continue. But the best way to quit is by going cold turkey.

The Quick List
Here is my short list of songs that need to get some play this season.
1. "Gold on the Ceiling" - The Black Keys (2012)
2. "Money Grabber" - Fitz and the Tantrums (2011)
3. "These Days" - Foo Fighters (2012)
4. "Hold On" - Alabama Shakes (2012)
5. "Itchin' On a Photograph" - Grouplove (2011)

Up next: Between Inning Music

Follow The Coach's Cave on Twitter